There are some fantastic books set to be published in 2017, Kate is looking forward to reading quite a few already. Here are a selection she’s adding to her TBR and hoping to share her thoughts on, over the coming year…
In 2017, I plan to make a conscious effort to read books by a more diverse range of authors, and books that make me think differently and more positively. Of course I’ll still read things that catch my eye as I go along too, but I’ve been looking out for books that are being recommended, so I’ve already got quite a few 2016 catch-up books, plus plenty of new titles coming out this year.
I thought I’d share some books to look out for, in case you’d like to add them to your TBR too:
- Sorcerer to the Crown by Zen Cho (already published, highly recommended)
- Everything I Never Told You by Celeste Ng (already published, highly recommended)
- Homegoing by Yaa Gyasi (Penguin Viking)
- Welcome to Lagos by Chibundu Onuzo (Faber)
- Once Upon A Time in the East by Xiaolu Guo (Chatto & Windus)
- The Wangs vs The World by Jade Chang (Penguin Fig Tree)
- The Mothers by Brit Bennett (published in the US, available via The Book Depository)
- Stay With Me by Ayobami Adebayo (Canongate)
- Kumukanda by Kayo Chingonyi (Chatto & Windus)
- Night Sky with Exit Wounds by Ocean Vuong (Jonathan Cape)
- The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas (Walker Books)
- Brit(ish) by Afua Hirsch (Jonathan Cape)
- How To Be A Grown Up by Daisy Buchanan (Headline Books)
- All About Mia by Lisa Williamson (David Fickling Books)
- Wing Jones by Katherine Webber (Walker Books)
- A Quiet Kind of Thunder by Sara Barnard (Macmillan)
- Traitor To The Throne by Alwyn Hamilton (Faber)
…and I’m looking forward to hearing more about Felicia Yap’s new book at the Headline Blogger event in February.
And check out our Books of 2016 round-up podcast for lots more recommendations.
If you have any more recommendations for me, especially great books by BAME authors, please let me know – leave a comment or tweet me @magic_kitten / @wordadventures
Thanks so much to Ming, Alice, Darran, Mariam and the many other people whose recommendations I absorb every day!